Insulin pens are designed for ease in subcutaneous administration of insulin. The insulin pens are either disposable or reusable depending on the duration of insulin therapy. It is an important tool for insulin administration featuring simplicity, ease of use, reliability in clients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
Advantages of Insulin Pen Devices over Conventional Insulin Syringes
• More convenient method and more accurate insulin delivery
• Less pain due to the use of smaller gauge needles
• Improved quality of life and enhanced compliance with the insulin regimen
• Simpler for specific populations to use (e.g. elderly, children, adolescents and pregnant women)
• Improved social acceptability, especially at school
• Less “medical” looking and contain all necessary parts (insulin containers and injecting device) in one unit.
Different brands and models of insulin pen are available. Most fall into two distinct categories: disposable and reusable.
- A disposable pen: This contains a prefilled insulin cartridge. Once used, the entire pen unit is thrown away.
- A reusable pen: This contains a replaceable insulin cartridge. Once empty, a person discards the cartridge and installs a new one.
A person must replace the disposable needle after each injection of insulin. With proper care, reusable insulin pens can last for several years.